Sunday, January 3, 2010

Better Late than Never

Remember over a year ago when Ali invited us to do updates? Well about that . . .

Inevitably at the start of a new year, as I look forward to the surprises to come, I find myself reflecting on the surprises and successes of the last twelve months or so. At the start of 2009 I had very few expectations, though I thought it might be nice to cut down on the number of doctor's visits in 2008 (something I accomplished quite easily).

Graduating in April. Parents are stoked they only have 2 left to go through college

I stayed busy through April, finishing off classes and an editorial internship until I graduated college. That's still a bit strange to say--makes me feel a bit old. Then I put that BA to work during the summer labeling bottles in a factory in Provo, or as I think of it "getting my proletariat on." Truth be told it was a fairly interesting and even fun job for a summer. August saw me take a cross-country, 10 state drive moving back East for graduate school and stopping in at Mt. Rushmore and Gettysburg before winding up to Rochester, New York. From there I made the big move to Boston that included a repaint (who knew brick was so difficult to cover over?) and taking on the city life--lots of walking and a 1 hour commute to church and school, at least on bad days. I'd never even been to New England before, but I made the move on faith; housing and a job fell into place quite quickly, so I guess I made the right decision.

At Little Roundtop on the Gettysburg Battlefield

Despite the sounds of it, my Masters program in Children's Literature (at Simmons College) has been quite challenging. Thankfully I've enjoyed most every minute. It's very difficult to take umbrage on the days when my homework entails reading picture books. It was my writing class, however, that I found I really enjoyed, so after much prayer and with some continued trepidation I applied to add an MFA in writing for children. Following the spirit worked quite well last time, so I figured I'd go with it again. I was also able to return home for Thanksgiving for the first time in many years. That's the perk of living relatively close to home. While in New York in November I met up with all seven nieces and nephews and we began a new tradition: launching water balloons. Families that play together stay together?

Books read: well over 50 (averages to at least 1 a week)
States traversed: 11
Graduate programs applied to: 5
Jobs held: 3
Major life decisions made: 2
Doctor's appointments: 0 (a far cry better than 2008 during the case of the disappearing and reappering Sister missionary)
Friends: too many to count!

Wishing you the best,

Lindsay Sorensen


Happy 2010 from my niece, nephew, and me!

2 comments:

Susie said...

Oh Lindsay I am so proud of you...almost like I am your mother. I know those life decisions are tough...I made a bunch of those this past year too. Congrats on following the spirit, moving to Boston, and doing Grad School. I live in VA so if you ever find yourself in Confederate territory, just give me a holler!

morningtheft said...

Hooray. I'm a little jealous you're back east, I've always wanted to at least visit. I'm glad you posted, it's so fun to catch up with what everyone's doing. Love from the Laws'.