Friday, January 22, 2010

East Coast Happiness

Hey Peeps.

On this Friday night I felt a little bit of an update coming on. It has been fun to hear from people sporadically, so I thought I'd add on to your joy.

Life here in Washington DC is swingin'. I technically live in Virginia, but it's almost the same thing. My schedule is as follows: wake up at 6am, leave by 7am, catch the bus, then the metro into DC, walk 5 min to school, and plan and teach like crazy until 5pm at night. Then I head back home to VA. Usually that night there is something social going on: FHE, institute, ward temple night, "Enrichment,"someone's birthday party, a concert in the city, a new restaurant to try out, etc...you name it, DC has it. I love living here.


Backtrack: I graduated from BYU in April after a semester of student teaching in inner city DC. I loved it so much that I literally took a leap of faith and moved back east in August. After 7 weeks of unemployment and 2.5 months of subbing, I landed a job at an inner city high school in DC. I teach US and World History. I still can't believe I survive everyday, but I generally enjoy it.


Life has had its ups and downs since our time in London, but mostly I feel so blessed by all of the experiences I have been able to have since then. I am constantly in shock that life hasn't turned out "as planned" but am grateful for the many unplanned events that have occurred. Who knows what is just around the corner? Seriously.


If anyone is ever in the DC area, please let me know. I often think of London as the beginning of my many adventures.

Oh and I do miss those Digestives and Double Deckers. Yum.

Cheers. Loves. Peace.

3 comments:

Lisa and Mark said...

so exciting. :)

Abbi said...

Thank you for adding to my joy! Wow, Susie, you are so powerful. It sounds like you are in the perfect place! What an amazing influence you are having on those kids. And props to you for taking the leap of faith and doing what was right even when it wasn't easy. I am SO impressed by that.

Guess what--I get to go back to London next month! Because of this, I have been thinking about London a lot. Last week I watched the video Brandon made and it made me remember how incredible everyone was there, and it made me miss you all! I love you so much Susie! Good luck with all of your adventures!

Miss K$ said...

I love that you love the East coast and I enjoyed hearing about your teaching experience. You are lucky.